Monday, October 18, 2010

Wild Kingdom. On a Wall Near You.

When I started college I wanted to be an interior designer. I ended up getting married, going to work, and not continuing my studies. Now my interest is more along the lines of English and art.

That being said I still consider myself to have a good sense of style. It would be an excellent sense of style if I had someone else's unlimited fundage to shop with, but that's another story.

There is a fairly recent trend of decor that baffles me: animal heads on your walls. I understand the whole "I am hunter hear me roar! I caught this animal. It is now a trophy on my wall" mentality. I don't like it, I think it is kind of creepy to have a dead animal head looking at you, but I understand it.

What I don't understand is taking it to another level: porcelain animal heads. This is an "I went to the pottery store. I am an urban hunter. I fired you in the kiln. You are now a trophy on my wall" type of mindset. What baffles me even more is the kind of money one has to spend to get said urban trophy on the wall.

I found this in the Ballard Designs catalogue. Priced at $119 and $249.




 
 There is a different option for the more cost conscious. Sea Grass animal heads. Priced at $49 and $99.


















Maybe it's just me. Maybe I do need to go back to school to appreciate decor such as this. I don't think so.




Article was first published as "Wild Kingdom.  On a Wall Near You (But Not Me) by Linda Voss on Technorati.com

3 comments:

  1. I could never allow those to be placed on my walls.

    Congrats on your first post. I've been writing for a little over a week.

    Tomica
    www.loveofbooks.net

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't get it. Real or fake, I never want to see these on a wall near me! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. My dad and brothers were hunters so I grew up in a home with trophies on the walls, and even I find this disturbing. I would feel like I needed a hunting rifle just to walk through my living room.

    ReplyDelete

These are my opinions, viewpoints, and beliefs. If you do not agree, please be kind. If you cannot be kind, please do not comment.