Monday, September 04, 2006

Foods that bring back wonderful childhood memories.

Sandra at Diary of a SAHM was reminiscing about foods in our lives that bring back wonderful childhood memories.

How old were you??? Was this a special holiday meal, or a Sunday dinner??? Who prepared the meal, was it a grandmother or mom, or maybe even your father???


So I thought I'd play a long. When I was little my grandmother lived about an hour away. We would pile the family into the old brown station wagon, with paneling, and drive to grandma's house for Sunday dinner. The smell was always the same and was fabulous! Roast beef with potatoes and carrots cooked in the juices. She would have orange jello with mandarin oranges and pineapple tidbits. For dessert she would usually offer Lemon Fluff.

Any time I walk into a home that has a roast beef cooking, or eat those particular foods, I am instantly transported back to grandma's house.

After dinner we would play with the little cowboys and indians, go outside and play badminton, or with the Yogi Bear bowling set.

When it was time to go home, grandma would pile us up with leftovers, and we would load back into the car and head home. I never made the trip without falling asleep and hated the last set of lights and the bump up to the driveway because I knew that I would have to get out of the car. To this day, I can't ride in the car for long periods of time without falling asleep!

If you want to reminisce with us, head on over to Sandra's blog. Thanks for the memories Sandra!


5 comments:

  1. Anonymous6:24 PM

    Badminton is really a lot of fun! Why don't you play it more often? :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmm...I think a few of those toys may still be hanging out in the deep recesses of our garage.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yea! Thanks for adding me to your crafty links!!

    Our new catalog is out this month. Why oh why do I have to be broke!! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lemon fluff! I'd forgotten lemon fluff. I just pulled my grandmother's recipe box from the back of my bookcase and dug out the recipe. Thanks for reminding me!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yep, we have the badminton rackets, the army men, cowboys and indians, and the Yogi Bowling Set.

    I also got Grandpa's fire painting and the Indian Bust.

    As soon as you mentioned roast beef, I was right there with you in Grandma's little kitchen drinking root beer out of those etched glasses, and drawing in the little nook.

    Remember our art show on the bushes?

    ReplyDelete

These are my opinions, viewpoints, and beliefs. If you do not agree, please be kind. If you cannot be kind, please do not comment.