Thursday, September 07, 2006

Do you really like yourself?

I just participated in Thursday Thirteen (my previous post) and the challenge was to list 13 things about yourself that you like.

I thought "that shouldn't be hard. I am up to the challenge"! So I started my list and you know what I found? It was hard. If I had been asked to list 13 things I didn't like about myself, I probably could have kept going and going. At about number seven I started thinking "hm, I wonder what other people listed" and started looking at other peoples lists for ideas.

How sad is that! I almost cheated and started listing different talents as different numbers instead of just talents but decided that was pretty lame.

Why is it so hard to find good things about ourselves, things we like about ourselves. We spend our whole lives with our own self and you would think it would be easy to know something like that.

As women, as parents, and in the other roles we take on in life, we spend our time training, building, teaching, lifting others and seem to forget to do that with ourselves.

I think the media is so prevalent that we look at the "big" people in the world and compare ourselves in ways that are really not comparable. Apples to Oranges. My Wednesday worst to your Sunday best. That kind of thing.

I am not rich or famous, my sphere of influence is fairly small in the whole scheme of things. Have we put so much emphasis and power into celebrity, fame, fortune that the ones who really make the world run, train up the children for the future, are left to feel so small and insignificant.

How do we change the perception of ourselves and of others. How do we build up ourselves while trying to build up the next generation?

4 comments:

  1. Ditto for me. I don't even want to try to list 13 things I like about myself!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous7:22 PM

    Thought provoking post. Your words are true.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous9:08 PM

    I struggle with this too. I'm not comfortable with talking about what I like about myself because I don't ever want to come off as arrogant. There's definitely a fine line. If you figure it out please let me know!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nah, the point is that you make OTHER people do it for you. Modesty's not such a bad thing.

    ReplyDelete

These are my opinions, viewpoints, and beliefs. If you do not agree, please be kind. If you cannot be kind, please do not comment.