Tuesday, September 28, 2010

My latest Etsy creations.


I finished some magnet boards today and am just getting ready to put them on my store.  I found my inspiration here and with a little tweaking and a different spin on it came up with these:





Pink and Brown Round Magnet Board:
I thought the round magnet board would be cute and "girly" so I made flower magnets from coordinating paper and pink brads to finish the look.  I really like pink and brown and thought it would be a cute color combination.  The pink "rope" that is bordering the paper I made from embroidery floss. (see tutorial below)















Christmas Countdown Magnet Board:

I love Christmas and my girls have always loved having something to countdown on, even as teenagers.  I thought a Christmas Countdown magnet board would be a cute idea and came up with this.  I made enough number tags to count down for 25 days. 

While the paper is mod podged onto the metal I thought that laminating the number tags would be a good way to make them a little more wear proof.  This ended up posing a big problem that I hadn't bargained for; the magnet wouldn't stick.  I tried scrapbook adhesive dots.  They didn't stick either.  Then I got out the big guns, E-6000 all purpose glue that sticks to anything.  Well, as it turns out, it doesn't stick to the laminate that my Xyron uses.  I was left with two options:
1. remake 24 tags
2. cut little patches of laminate off the back to stick the magnets to.

I chose option 2. So, after scraping the glue off the magnets and cutting little rectangles of laminate off of each tag I now have stickage!

I know that I got the original idea from another blogger (to whom I fully give credit).  I would just ask that if you are going to make these you don't try and sell the Christmas Countdown idea.


Here is a little crafty tutorial for you on how to make the rope used on the round magnet board.  You can make this with thread, embroidery floss, yarn, basically anything that you can get a long piece of and twist.



Making decorative Rope:
 

Get a friend to help you.  It can be done by yourself but is much easier with a friend.  I looped this around my water bottle and did it myself but make your hubby or one of your kids help, it is fast and easy.


My buddy helping while reading her homework.
Me winding my end.
Get your piece of whatever you are making Rope from. It will need to be at least double what your finished size should be.

You hold one end and your helper holds the other.  You both start twisting in opposite directions so it gets wound tighter and tighter.  You don't want your partner unwinding what you are winding.



Holding center away from ends.





 Once it gets fairly tight you want to grab the center point and hold it away from you. In your other hand put the two ends together then let go of the ends while still holding the center.



smoothing

 It will start twisting up and wrapping around itself.  This is what you want.  Just run your fingers down the rope to smooth it out and you are done.


 

Finished product.



 If you have to cut an end just put a little craft glue on it so it won't unravel.

Have fun!











1 comment:

These are my opinions, viewpoints, and beliefs. If you do not agree, please be kind. If you cannot be kind, please do not comment.