Saturday, March 12, 2016

Of Humility and Becoming

Taylor Richards, in his presentation Think Big, made a statement I really like: “Do not over under-estimate yourself.

At first I thought he had mis-spoken. Then I thought about it. We have a tendency to under-estimate ourselves. He was telling us to not do that to a larger extent than we usually do. Really wise words.

“Do not over under-estimate yourself.”
-          Taylor Richards

In The Hero’s Journey they discussed the importance of choosing your companions wisely. We want to have the companions who will stick around when times get tough as well as in the good times. Not just “fair weather friends.”  We also need to be humble enough to seek out people who make up for our weaknesses.

“It takes humility to admit that others are better than we are at certain things, and that these other things are important. This sort of honesty is hard, but it is the stuff of real humility (quite distinct from being a wimp) and will bring us indispensable and highly beneficial companions for our journey.” – Hero’s Journey

Elder Dallin H. Oaks, in his Conference address The Challenge to Become, stated:

 “In contrast to the institutions of the world, which teach us to know something, the gospel of Jesus Christ challenges us to become something.


I guess these are all things I hope to continue learning. To not over under-estimate myself, make sure I remain humble to select the best of companions, and to make something of my life and become something that my Savior would be happy with.

No comments:

Post a Comment

These are my opinions, viewpoints, and beliefs. If you do not agree, please be kind. If you cannot be kind, please do not comment.