- Don't be afraid to ask for help.
- Take good notes.
- Thank God for back ups!
- The IT Guy is your friend!
- iPods are great when the country station gets turned on at work.
- Good friends are priceless!
Now to elaborate just a tad on these things.
1 & 2. I was hired to do something I have never done before. A/P and Payroll. I had 3 weeks, with the person who was going to train me, to learn everything I needed to know to do my job successfully. Thank heavens she was patient with me. I definitely asked for help, asked a ton of questions, and took a ton of notes. I still refer to them. - I even bought a cute notebook to put them in. May as well have fun while you are doing it!
3. Someone wanted to know how much personal time they had. They happened to call while I was in the middle of working on a report and finishing payroll. Since I am so good at multitasking I decided to pull up the spreadsheet and tell her quickly. Best to get it done now. Well, when I clicked ok to open the spreadsheet, up came a blank page. Huh? I closed Excel and reopened the file. Blank spreadsheet. Then it started to dawn on me and panic set in. I thought "Don't tell me I just did what I think I just did!" Instead of clicking on the "open" icon I had clicked on the "save" icon and saved a blank spreadsheet over the personal time spreadsheet. OOPS!!
4. My friend the IT Guy, having nightly back ups, saved me from my own stupid self.
5. I love the people I work with. Really great people. Generally we have on a generic radio station that doesn't offend any one and plays pretty lame music that you can listen to in an office. Occasionally though, the country music station gets turned on. Other than rap (ugh) about the only type of music I can't stand is Country (in all it's varied forms). So, when that station comes on, I get out the iPod. My coworkers check on me to see if I am doing ok. "Yep," I say, "I have my iPod earphone in. I am doing alright!"
5. Now that I am working full time, I rely heavily on my good friends. They take my girls to and from school. One does it full time, but when she can't, I call on other good friends to fill in. I tell them how much I appreciate them doing this for me, but they probably can't fathom how important it is to me. They are taking precious cargo (what a way to talk about my kids, eh!). It is such a stress relief to know that my girls are safe and taken care of on their way to and from school.
All in all, my new job has been a huge learning experience, a lot of fun, a huge lifestyle change, but fairly uneventful (except for #3).
I am really enjoying going back to work. Now if I can just justify the cost of a maid, life would be bliss!