Friday, July 29, 2016

Traits From His Mother and Father


In my scripture study, I focused on Setting. I wanted to learn a little more context through customs and traditions of the time.

We know of the Godly and divine traits Jesus obtained from God the Father. Someone in class posed the question "What traits did Jesus receive from His Mother and His Father?"

From what I have learned, according to Jewish tradition at the time, an unwed pregnant woman was subject to being stoned to death. (Deuteronomy 22:20-21) Joseph had decided that he wanted to "put [Mary] away privily," (Matt 1:19) prior to the angel visiting him. (vs 20)

What this teaches me about Joseph is that he was a very kind man. He wanted to spare Mary the indignity of a public trial and divorcement.

What we know about Mary is that she was obedient and virtuous, she was "highly favored, the Lord [was] with [her]," and she was blessed among women. (Luke 1:28)

We can rest assured that they both were victims of much speculation and ridicule because of the situation in which they found themselves.


I think Jesus would have learned traits of humility, obedience, kindness, and love, to name a few. How much of that was inborn because of his divine parentage we don't know, but I am sure his parents were examples of those traits and helped him to incorporate them into his behavior and way of being.

No comments:

Post a Comment

These are my opinions, viewpoints, and beliefs. If you do not agree, please be kind. If you cannot be kind, please do not comment.