Saturday, November 10, 2018

The Easiness of the Way


In Numbers 21 "the Lord sent fiery (poisonous) serpents among the people; and much people of Israel died." (vs 6) 

Moses prayed, and the Lord told him to make a serpent on a pole at which the people only need look and be saved from the poisonous bite of the snakes. 

We learn more of this story from the Book of Mormon. 

Alma 33:19 "… a type was raised" (being symbolic of Jesus Christ) “… many did look and live." 

33:20 "...many were so hardened that they would not look, therefore they perished. Now the reason they would not look is because they did not believe that it would heal them." 

Alma 37:46 "do not let us be slothful because of the easiness of the way; ...if they would look they might live; even so it is with us. The way is prepared, and if we will look we may live forever." 

Then in 3 Nephi 15:9 the Savior tells us what this means: 

"Behold, I am the law, and the light. Look unto me, and endure to the end, and ye shall live; for unto him that endureth to the end will I give eternal life." 

This makes me think about what the prophets tell us to do today. How many things are we slothful in because of the "easiness of the way," or think it doesn't apply to me, or believe it won't heal us? 

I often joke that I know I was saved for the last days because I couldn't handle being a pioneer and crossing the plains. Sometimes I wonder if the "easiness of the way" will be a larger stumbling block for the latter-day saints than enduring enormous trials like the early saints did. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

These are my opinions, viewpoints, and beliefs. If you do not agree, please be kind. If you cannot be kind, please do not comment.